Did you know that 1 in 6 adults have a common mental health disorder …
I personally have struggled with multiple mental health issues and I know many others who have as well. This is a common thing. Yet why is it not talked about?
This week on The In Alignment Podcast I am talking all about MENTAL HEALTH.
I wanted to record this episode because of a number of reasons. This is a subject close to my heart; many people in my life (myself included) have suffered with mental illness, and I do not believe that this subject gets talked about enough. There is still a stigma involved when mental illnesses are mentioned, and I wanted to share my own personal experience with the hope that I can help others and people can see that it isn’t to be ashamed of if you suffer from mental health difficulties.
Firstly I clear up some misconceptions about mental health illnesses:
1. They are NOT a choice
2. They are just a disease, like diabetes for example, that need to be treated.
3. If someone has a mental health problem that does not define who they are.
In this podcast episode I focus mainly on Anorexia and Anxiety, purely because these are the mental health problems I have suffered with in the past and I can share my own experience around them.
RECOVERING FROM AN EATING DISORDER:
– Get help!
– CBD (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)
– Find some motivation to recover (and remind yourself daily of it)
– Find something to feel passionate about that you want to get out of bed for
– Practice SELF LOVE
If others in your life are suffering, then I recommend helping them to help themselves.
DEALING WITH ANXIETY:
– Use your will power just to put yourself into scary situations until they get less scary (worked for me although might not work for everyone)
– Meditation (try the Head Space app)
– Talk to someone
– Mindful exercise (I have a blog post all about it HERE)
Finally, I want to say that all mental health problems can be cured or the symptoms dealt with. There is an end to whatever you are going through – ‘this too shall pass’. Please know that you CAN recover and live the rest of your life filled with happiness. It is possible!
Lets keep this conversation going! Let me know what you think and if you have anything to add. Please lets talk about this so that mental health issues can be dealt with with compassion and understanding!
Thank you so much for listening to this episode. I hope you enjoy it! Speak to you next time, Much love x